The kitchen island is the heart of the home.
We are building a small, starter home to sell, and of upmost importance is a great kitchen island that does it all, stores it all, while looking beautiful. Here’s what we came up with:
On the “work” side, it features a sink, a pull out trash drawer with a cutting board/knife drawer – so it becomes a prep center – and a dishwasher – so it becomes the dishwashing center.
On the seating side, we added open shelving (which also increases countertop space) and keeps stuff off the countertop. This is where you can put everything from serving dishes to board games, charging cords, laptops – even snacks, paper plates, craft items.
We extended the countertop about 6″ over the open shelving – so you can still sit and eat there too.
We also added seating on the corbel end, not only creating more seating, but also creating seating at a corner for cozier conversations and less awkward homework helping.
We tried super hard to make this a great island that the new homeowner will love. And we are sharing the free plans, so you can build it too!
Video Tutorial of this Kitchen Island Build
We put together a quick video of the build, so you can see the steps happen in action.
VIDEO COMING SOON
And the free plans for this project below. Thank you for using our plans, we very much appreciate your trust.
Everything you love about the classic picnic table, but in a cozier, updated design! Here’s why we love this square picnic table
Square Picnic Table Features
- Seating on four sides, for a cozier experience
- Easy to build design
- Comfortably seats four adults, could seat as many as 8
- Smaller footprint may be more suitable for some spaces
- Fun, modern design
Sitting around a table, instead of in a line at a table, is usually more desireable. But most round style picnic tables – whether it’s an octagon or a hexagon or a four sided picnic table – become complicated and hard to build. In this plan, we tried our hardest to create a project that is quick and easy to build, but still gives you a quality project that you will love for many years.
Reader submitted photo modified in height, see more photos here
Out 2×4 Outdoor Collection is a reader favorite! Since so many of you have built the sofa or sectional pieces, we thought we’d add a side table plan to the collection too.
All of the plans in the 2×4 Outdoor Sofa collection are available here.
This collection is so popular because:
- It’s easy to build with just straight cuts, a drill and a saw
- It’s all 2x4s, so holds up well and is heavy enough to not blow away in the wind
- Easy to modify to fit spaces and custom needs
- Can paint or stain just about any color
We love this little side table, because it’s just four 2x4s to build it! It’s sturdy enough to hold a plant or even an occasional guest!
2×4 Outdoor Side Table Build Video
Want to see this project built in video? Make sure you take a second to watch us build this 2×4 outdoor table.
And then download the free plans below and get it built!
Thank you for using our plans, we love seeing your projects, so please share when you are done!
Pin for Later!!
PHOTO SUBMITTED BY JUSTINMGIBSON
This plan is part of a collection that includes sofa, coffee table, loveseat and more! Click here to view all plans in our 2×4 Outdoor Collection.
This beautiful barn door entertainment center does it all while looking good too! It is a HUGE project – up there with a kitchen build – but with the simplified step by step plans, not hard to do. It took us two days to build and finish and cost us about $1000.
- Fits TV up to 65″ WIDE with adjustable heights
- TONS of storage hidden and exposed, perfect for hiding and displaying
- Top can be used for storage or display too
- Sliding barn doors keep everything easily accessible
- No door swings, so can fit in a tighter space
- Durable 3/4″ plywood construction with face frames is how the pros do it – you’ll be getting a craftsman quality piece!
- Can be easily modified and finished in any color or stain
Watch Us Build It
If you are interested in building this piece, please watch our video, as it will help explain many of the steps.