by wood work | Dec 31, 2020 | General
If you have nook space or an alcove, or a closet you’d like to convert to a mudroom, a DIY floating bench is an inexpensive and easy way to add seating. It’s also sturdy and very functional – about seven years ago, we built this mudroom bench and it still looks great and has held up well.
We also added trundle drawers underneath and a coat organizer above.
Since this tutorial, we’ve seen some great customizations for this project!
Julie added a back detail to make her floating bench look like a built in hall tree. We also love the center leg for additional support for longer spans. More photos and details here.
We love this stained version with inset shelves by The Schmidt Home! This is also brilliant because you can double stack tall boots over smaller shoes.
For a deeper bench, hinging the back up allows for easy access to taller boots – customization and photos by HMCTAGG
This mudroom system by Mathew40SU is finished beautifully! We love the stained bench seat that sits on top of the framing and front trim, and the back detailing.
by wood work | Dec 29, 2020 | General
Photo by LEXAROO
Folding Sewing Table Plan Features
Build your own folding sewing table from one sheet of plywood using our free step by step plans. This folding sewing table features:
- Storage for a sewing machine and sewing basket
- Fold out wings to increase sewing and cutting space
- Wheels for easy moving between rooms
- Narrow profile rolls through doorways
by wood work | Dec 22, 2020 | General
Firewood Box Features
I just finished building a brand new firewood box for our basement wood stove, and we love how it turned out! Here’s why:
- Easy to build design based off one sheet of plywood (minimal waste or scraps)
- No pocket holes – just screw together with construction screws
- Looks finished and beautiful
- Good size fits logs up to 24″ long and holds about a quarter of a cord of wood
- Contains the bark and mess to inside the wood box
- Protects the wall behind the wood box
- Very sturdy and well made, will hold up for a long time
Video Tutorial for Firewood Box
It’s easy to build this firewood box. Please take a second to watch the video tutorial.
Free Plans to Build Your Own Firewood Box
The free plans for this firewood box are below. Thanks for using our plans, please post a photo when you are done!
by wood work | Dec 12, 2020 | General
I just finished up this indoor playhouse THIS MORNING and it is so darling, I couldn’t wait for the video (coming soon!) to share the plans with you!
The Back Story
For my toddler daughter’s Christmas gift, I was going to buy her a play tent that looks like a playhouse for the living room. But after shopping around, the play tents suitable to stay up in the main living room cost about $200! Yes, $200 for a kids play tent. Like this one sold out from Pottery Barn Kids. Or this one from Scandiborn. Or this one from Target – so cute, right?
At that price point, I thought I could design and build her something out of wood for less money overall, but higher quality and last longer.
Indoor Playhouse Features
- Portable, so can be set up almost anywhere and doesn’t have to be framed into your house
- Small size, will fit in most rooms
- Easy to break down into panels for storage (since you’ll want to keep this one around for grandchildren someday!)
- Perfect size for preschoolers
- Sturdy and solid walls – not fabric walls!
- Can be repaired, repainted, reused, and is biodegradable
Free Plans to Build Your Own Indoor Playhouse
Our new free plans are easy to follow, with a shopping list, cut list and step by step diagrams.
by wood work | Dec 5, 2020 | General
Photo by CPEEPLES
American Girl doll beds can be so expensive! Have you thought about building your own? For about $10 you can DIY your own doll bed, and paint or stain it any color you like!
Here’s a few DIY photos from our amazing readers:
Photo by LBROWN
Photo by KROCHELLE
This project has been a reader favorite for over a decade! It’s such a fun and easy project with big results!
Our free plans make it simple!
American Girl Doll Bed Tutorial