My mom’s birthday is this week and my daughter wanted to build her a piece of furniture for her home. More than anything, she needs more storage and organization in her kitchen. A while back we built my brother a barn door pantry, and it was such a functional and beautiful piece, we decided Mom needed something similar.
My mom is short (part of the reason storage is such a challenge in her kitchen), so we scaled the height down, and also the width, to fit her space. It’s narrow profile, so won’t be a huge thing to walk around or dominate the room.
Building the Barn Door Bookcase
I used 1x12s to build a bookshelf, and stained it Sunbleached by Varathane
Then I used 1x4s to build a door, and hung it with barn door hardware –
It took me about two days, working on it when I could, and cost under $200 for everything (including the barn door hardware)
We just can’t wait to bring it over to my Mom’s and see how she likes it!
Barn Door Bookcase Uses
My mom is going to use it as a pantry. We love how on one side you can store dishes and more attractive things, things you need to grab quickly and often, like plates, cups, cutting boards, your tools and fixed items. Then on the other side, you can store all the ugly packaged goods – like cereal, canned goods, snack foods – everything you don’t want to see all the time.
But we love this cabinet throughout the house!
- Bathroom – towels on one side, toiletries on the other
- Entryway – add coat hooks on the open side, and store shoes on the closed side – or build two and hang a hook bar in between in a long hall
- Living room – build two, one on each side of the tv! Perfect for board games, controllers, and books.
- Nursery – everything baby needs can fit inside! Keep the diapers and wipes on one side, the collectible toys and outfits on the open side
- Dining room – display beautiful dishes on the open side, hide board games and arts and craft supplies on the other
- Office – keep your office neat but still functioning – decor on one side, everything else behind the door
Barn Door Bookcase Build Video
We filmed the build process, for those of you who are visual learners.
And of course, the plans are below. I did change a few things in the plans to make it easier to build, happy to be the guinea pig for you guys!
Thanks for using my plans, please share a photo when you are done!